Privacy and Access
The ‘Privacy and Access’ section allows you to control the information contained in your My Health Record and manage who has access to this content. This includes:
- How secure is my information?
- Who has access to My Health Record?
- What are the default settings?
- How do I control who has access to My Health Record?
The My Health Record system is governed by legislation that protects your personal information. The legislation includes penalties for unauthorised access to information on your My Health Record. If you believe your My Health Record has been accessed inappropriately you are able to make a complaint. See the ‘Managing Access, Privacy and Security’ page for more information.
Individuals (people you have chosen) and healthcare providers involved in your medical care can have access to your My Health Record. The ‘Privacy and Access‘ page allows you to easily see who has access to your record at any point in time.
The My Health Record system is currently set up (default settings) to allow all healthcare providers involved in your care to upload documents to your My Health Record, unless you specifically request them not to.
The following default settings apply when you register for a My Health Record:
- All healthcare providers involved in your care will be able to access your My Health Record during, and in regards to, a consultation or clinical event. Note: Healthcare providers need specific details about you to search for and access your record.
- All healthcare providers involved in your care will be able to view all the documents in your My Health Record, except for Personal Health Notes.
It is important to note that the default settings may not apply when taking control of an existing My Health Record. For example, when a young person takes control of their record at 18 years of age, the settings chosen by an Authorised Representative will transfer over from when they controlled the record.
You can change the default settings at any time. For more information see the ‘Access by Healthcare Providers’ help page.
You can control who has access to your My Health Record by reviewing the different sections on your ‘Privacy and Access’ pages.