Cancelling your My Health Record
This page contains information on:
- How do I cancel My Health Record?
- Who has access to my cancelled My Health Record?
- Notifying healthcare providers and representatives that a My Health Record has been cancelled.
- What happens to the My Health Record contents and setting when a My Health Record is cancelled?
- Existing relationships.
- How do I cancel a My Health Record for someone else?
- How do I re-register my participation in the My Health Record system?
- How do I re-register someone else's participation in the My Health Record system?
The following steps outline the process to cancel your My Health Record:
- Log in to your My Health Record through your myGov account.
- Select the My Health Record you want to cancel. Note that you can cancel a My Health Record for someone if you are their authorised representative.
- Select the 'Profile & Settings' tab.
- Select 'Profile' and navigate to the end of the page.
- Read the information, then click 'Cancel My Health Record'.
- Read and agree to the statements, then click 'Proceed to cancel My Health Record'.
- Choose whether you would like to receive a confirmation by Email or SMS.
- Click 'Yes, cancel this My Health Record' or 'No, take me back'.
- Read the confirmation statement and 'Print confirmation' to print a copy.
Please note that the registration cancelling process is completed immediately. However, you can't re-register for a new My Health Record until the deletion process is complete.
For help cancelling a record, contact the Help line.
Once a My Health Record is cancelled, all information associated with that record will be permanently deleted and will not be available under any circumstances.
If you are an Authorised Representative or Nominated Representative (including a Full Access Nominated Representative) for a record, then minimal required information will be retained in the My Health Record system to ensure that you can perform all responsibilities of an Authorised Representative or Nominated Representative (including a Full Access Nominated Representative). If you are cancelling your dependant's record in addition to your own, this information is retained until the dependant's record is cancelled, at which stage all your information will be permanently deleted.
Will my healthcare providers or representatives receive a notification that I have cancelled My Health Record?
There will not be any notification sent to healthcare providers on your access list or representatives associated with your My Health Record to inform them that you have cancelled your record. Once a My Health Record has been cancelled, no one will be able to view or search for the My Health Record, including healthcare providers and representatives who previously had a relationship with your record.
When you cancel your My Health Record, all information in the record will be permanently deleted.
If you cancel your My Health Record, this will not impact your ability to access other records that you are associated with. If you are an Authorised Representative or Nominated Representative (including a Full Access Nominated Representative) for a record, you will be able to access these records by logging into the My Health Record system with your myGov login details.
If you are an Authorised Representative for someone else you can cancel their My Health Record using the 'Cancel Registration with the My Health Record system' page within the individual's My Health Record. A Nominated Representative, including a Full Access Nominated Representative, cannot cancel a My Health Record on behalf on someone else.
You may be authorised representative on a My Health Record for someone you have legal responsibility for, for example a parent or guardian.
If there is more than one authorised representative for a My Health Record, all representatives are given the opportunity to review the decision before the record is permanently deleted. During this time, the record will be suspended.
Even if you permanently delete a My Health Record, you can re-register for a new record if you decide you want one in the future. You can register online through your myGov account, or by contacting the Help line on for assistance. For more information on how to register for a My Health Record system, go to the 'Create or access a My Health Record' help section.
If I cancel someone else's My Health Record, can I register them for a My Health Record in the future?
You can create a My Health Record for someone if:
- You are registering a child, and the child has not reached the age of 14 years or taken control of their My Health Record.
- The period for which you were appointed an Authorised Representative has not expired.
For more information on registering someone else for a My Health Record, go to the 'Create or access a My Health Record for Child' help page.
For further information explore this Help site or visit the My Health Record website.